RYA International Certificate of Competence (ICC)
This is the certificate most countries require before you can hire or keep a boat.
You can obtain this certificate from us in two ways:
1. Take the RYA Powerboat 2 course. This two day course covers all the requirements of the International certificate (ICC). On successful completion of the course, holders of the RYA powerboat 2 certificate can apply to the RYA for an International Certificate of Competence. If you are, or become, a member of the RYA, this will be issued to you free of charge. Otherwise, the RYA will charge £30.00 to issue it. You will note the coincidence that it costs £30.00 to join or issue the certificate.
The second way is the take an examination to prove competency. So if you are already an experience powerboater, you may wish to opt for this approach. In this case, the examination takes a day and costs less than the Powerboat Level 2 course. However, because this approach changes us from instructors, whose objective is to get you through successfully, to examiners, whose objective is to assess your existing competency, failure rates are significantly higher than opting for the Powerboat Level 2 route above.
The Direct Assessment
1. Prepare the boat and crew
2. Moor alongside upwind and downwind
3. Turn using warps
4. Recover man overboard
5. Re-start engine at sea
6. Perform high speed manoeuvres as directed
7. Moor to a buoy unaided
8. Reverse alongside
9. Hold off for 30secs
10. Turn the boat in its own length
Theory - Answer questions on:
1. Types of craft and hull shapes
2. Engines and drives
3. Use and limitations of GPS
4. IRPCS and local bye laws
6. Towing procedures
7. VHF use in emergency